Changing the standard in Household Underwriting
August 23, 2018

A standard household product is easy enough to find, they are ten to the dozen and there’s not much that sets each one apart. But what if your client’s home becomes unoccupied? Perhaps they are having renovation work done, or they’ve just got a new job that involves working away from home for long periods of time. Whatever the reason, unoccupied properties face a higher risk of vandalism and theft, and the usual insured perils can cause much more cumulative damage as it can go unnoticed for longer periods of time. And if a property is vacant for 30 or 60 consecutive days your client may find themselves with a void policy and a high risk unoccupied property.

Most clients will simply take out a standard household policy and if the need arises they simply cancel the household insurance and take out a new unoccupied policy. The problem with this is the time, money and stress that is involved in changing over policies. Our new Household product Home Assure makes this a much simpler process by building it into the product from the start. If your client needs to suddenly switch from a standard Household policy to Unoccupied, you can do this easily without having to take out a new policy, and equally change it back when needed.

Home Assure is available through our newly updated online quote portal, supported by our team of experienced in-house underwriters if you have any additional queries. Home Assure is also a bedroom rated policy and comes with Legal Expenses as an easy add on.

We have also created a helpful tip sheet for you to share with your clients which will help advise them on how to keep their unoccupied property safe whilst they are away. You can download it here.

If your client also owns any commercial property they may also require a commercial Unoccupied policy, details of which you can find here.

If you do not already have a TOBA with us you can easily apply for one online here.

Read More > Read Less > < Return